Being by the ocean is one of the most calming, therapeutic and tranquil places you can visit. The prominent smell of the salty sapphire sea and the warm sand crunching between your toes is a priceless memory. We all appreciate the breathtaking, majestic and harmonious scenery which makes our soul feel free, thus we should take the time to appreciate what the ocean does for us as humans. This is what World Ocean Day is all about.
“Dance with the waves, Move like the sea. Let the rhythm of the water set your soul free”
Why the ocean matters and all it does for us:
The ocean is our planets life support system. It covers 72 percent of the earth and scientists estimate that 50-80 percent of the oxygen production comes from the ocean. Our planet depends on the vitality and strength of the ocean to support and sustain it. The blue beating heart at the centre of our earth absorbs over 90 percent of heat along with almost a third of all carbon dioxide that humans have ever produced. it even produces the air we breathe. The importance is fascinating isn’t it?
The ocean and its benefits:
- The air we breathe: The ocean produces over half of the worlds oxygen and absorbs 50 times more carbon dioxide that our atmosphere.
- Food: The ocean provides more than just seafood, ingredients from the ocean are found in foods like peanut butter.
- Transportation: Marine transportation provides around 80 percent of global trade by volume.
- Medicine : Many medicinal products come from the ocean, including ingredients that help fight cancer, arthritis , Alzheimers disease and heart disease.
- Economic benefits: One of every 6 jobs in the U.S. is marine related.
Ways we can help the ocean:
One of the main ways to save our planet and our ocean is to reduce plastic usage. Every year, millions of tons of plastic enters our beautiful ocean putting the marine animals at large risk. Birds, dolphins, whales and turtles become entangled in the plastic and their lives are threatened when they become trapped resulting in suffocation or drowning. Doing these things will help contribute and reduce the use of plastic;
- Refuse plastic straws.
- Don’t ask for plastic cutlery when ordering takeaway food.
- Recycle your waste at home and work.
- Participate in clean ups and litter picking in your neighbourhood.
- Carry reusable water bottles.
Other ways we can contribute to helping the ocean us to use less water so excess runoff and waste water will not flow into the ocean. This can be done by having shorter showers and not leaving the tap on for long durations.
10 interesting facts about the ocean:
- Less than five percent of the planet’s ocean have been explored.
- We still only know a fraction of the marine species in our ocean.
- It’s possible to find rivers and lakes beneath the ocean.
- The Pacific Ocean is the Worlds Largest Ocean and contains around 25,000 islands.
- around 50 percent of the U.S. lies beneath the ocean.
- Most of earths volcanic activity happens in the ocean.
- There are 3 million shipwrecks in the ocean.
- The ocean has more artefacts than all the words museums combined.
- More than 90 percent of the planets lifeforms are undiscovered and underwater.
- 1 percent of the ocean floor is covered by coral reef.
Have you learnt something after reading this?
Leave a Reply